This month’s blog is a topic we all hope to never need to know about. Yet, cancer is the leading cause of death among children in the US under the age of 15 says the National Cancer Institute. To read more about trends in pediatric cancers, pediatric.cancer.
The good news: childhood cancers are more treatable and kids are living longer with cancer.
- Although less common in the US, children around the world have received Chinese medicine for centuries.
- Acupuncture is surprisingly well tolerated by children.
- The well respected research journal, Pediatrics, analyzed 37 studies of acupuncture in children and found that acupuncture is safe for kids; only 1 in 10 had a mild side effect like discomfort at the site.
- It is estimated that more than a quarter of all children with cancer use complementary therapies as an aid to increase their quality of life while undergoing treatment
How we can help: Acupuncture for kids works much in the same way it does for adults:
- alleviate side effect of chemotherapy and radiation
- increase appetite
- boost energy
- decrease cancer related pain
- calm anxiety
The published research– some citations and articles that may be of interest:
- Complementary and alternative medicines for use in supportive care in pediatric cancer (K. Kelly), Support Care Cancer, 2007. To read research PDF, click here: Kelly.cancer
- Almost 50% of young adults list complementary and alternative treatment as an unmet need. Information and service needs for young adult cancer patients (B. Zebrack), Support Care Cancer, 2008. To read research PDF, click here: zebrack.cancerneeds
At Wildwood Acupuncture Center–we are a family owned medically based clinic who will work in collaboration with other treatments you are receiving to enhance your treatment results.
Call us today to schedule a consultation: 301-530-5308