October is breast cancer awareness month. Past blogs have already showed that research supports the use of acupuncture for chemo-related nausea. But acupuncture’s benefits for women with breast cancer
are many as this article will share.
Some Facts (from www.breastcancerawareness.com)
- “Every 2 minutes, there is a new breast cancer diagnosis.
- Every 14 minutes, a life is lost to the disease.
- Over 40,000 people will die this year; about 400 of them will be men.
- 85% of all diagnoses have no family history.
- 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer.
- Breast cancer is the leading cause of death in women between ages 40 and 55.”
Do you do your monthly self-exam?
A monthly breast self-exam is recommended for all women. Here is a website that provides specific instructions on how to preform a breast self-exam http://www.nationalbreastcancer.org/breast-self-exam
Research & How we can help
- Hot Flashes/Night Sweats: Acupuncture helps breast cancer patients just as much as prescription medication to reduce hot flashes, reduce depression and had significant improvement in mental health. But, the positive effects of acupuncture lasted much longer. Plus, those using the prescription had a total of 18 side effects whereas those receiving acupuncture had zero. Added bonus: acupuncture improved the sex drive of some women in the study. To read the full 2010 study publication JCO-2010-Walker-634-40
- Joint Pain: Women who received acupuncture had “significant improvement in joint pain and stiffness.” To read full article click here JCO-2010-Crew-1154-60
- Lympheodema: Women with arm swelling after breast cancer surgery saw 30% reduction in arm circumference after receiving acupuncture 2x a week for a month. To read full article click here cassileth
At Wildwood Acupuncture Center–we are a family owned medically based clinic who will work in collaboration with other treatments you are receiving to enhance your treatment results.
Call us today to schedule a consultation: 301-530-5308