A concussion is actually a traumatic brain injury (TBI) that can alter the functioning of the brain. Typically concussions are not life threatening but some can be serious. They are caused by a bump, blow or hit to the head.
Signs & Symptoms (from the CDC http://www.cdc.gov/concussion/index.html)
- Difficulty thinking, remembering new information and concentrating
- Headache, nausea, dizziness
- Fuzzy vision, light sensitivity
- Sleeping more or less than usual
Seek Immediate Medical Attention if….
- Headache gets worse or does not go away
- Weakness, numbness or decreased coordination
- Vomiting and nausea that does not go away
- Slurred speech
Can Acupuncture Help
- Acupuncture can be used to quell many of the symptoms of a concussion including headache, nausea and vomiting
- The military uses acupuncture to treat traumatic brain injuries on and off the battlefield
- Acupuncture has been shown to increase cognition in patients with TBIs and help with post-TBI insomnia
Other Preventative Measures You Can Do
- Wear a seat belt every time you are in a motor vehicle
- Wear a helmet when riding a bike, motor bike, snowmobile, contact sports, horseback riding
- Make sure older adults have handrails, adequate lighting and any tripping hazards are removed like throw rugs
- Use safety gates on stair if children
At Wildwood Acupuncture Center–we are a family owned medically based clinic who will work in collaboration with other treatments you are receiving to enhance your treatment results.
Call us today to schedule a consultation: 301-530-5308