December is one of the most stressful times of the year for many. The additional demands, holiday events, family dynamics, and the remembrances of losses can give rise to depression and anxiety that can truly put a damper on your holiday cheer.
Self-Help Tips to Combat Holiday Stress
- Feel authentically- if you have suffered a loss, or this is the first holiday without someone special- acknowledge your true feelings. Expressing them to others, or to a professional, is important.
- Reach out– the holidays can be one of the loneliest times of the year for some. If you don’t have friends or family- get involved in volunteering in your community. It is hard not to smile when you are preparing a hot meal for homeless person or wrapping gifts for needy children.
- Rise above-put your differences aside for the purpose of peace. Peace is my purpose might be a helpful mantra to get through Aunt Sadie’s relentless questions about why you haven’t yet had a baby or….
- No is a complete sentence– it is okay to say “no”- avoiding overwhelm is one of the best gifts you can give yourself this holiday season. Set limits for yourself in spending, time commitments, and obligatory events.
- Stay Balanced-holidays is a time of overindulgence. Keep balanced by ensuring that you keep up with healthy habits like exercise, sleep and plenty of water.
How Acupuncture Can Help
- Acupuncture releases brain chemicals called endorphins which put you in natural state of relaxation
- Acupuncture reduces a protein (neuropeptide Y ) in the blood stream linked to chronic stress
- Acupuncture decreases heart rate and lowers blood pressure, both symptoms of stress
- Acupuncture releases neurotransmitters that reduce the buildup of cortisol that stress has released
- Acupuncture leaves you feeling cared for and rejuvenated
At Wildwood Acupuncture Center–we are a family owned medically based clinic who will work in collaboration with other treatments you are receiving to enhance your treatment results.
Call us today to schedule a consultation: 301-530-5308