Temporomandibular disorders (TMD) are those affecting the jaw, jaw joint or facial muscles. TMJ is the actual joint that connects the lower jaw and the skull in front of the ear.
Symptoms of TMJ:
- Pain, soreness, tenderness in face and jaw area
- Pain may be worse with chewing, yawning, or opening mouth wide
- Jaw might “lock” or get stuck, or may have clicking or popping sounds
- May be one-sided or affect both sides
Causes of TMD:
- Arthritis of the jaw
- Grinding or clenching (may occur daytime or while sleeping)
- Injury, dislocation
- Soft foods
- Wear a mouth guard at night to prevent grinding
- Relaxation techniques (like acupuncture, massage, biofeedback)
- Ice or hot packs and stretching exercises
- Trigger point injections or surgery
Acupuncture has been shown to help…in numerous studies…here is how:
- Reduces pain caused by TMD by releases endorphins
- Six weekly treatments are typically recommended for 30 minutes each session
- Longer term treatment might be needed for long term chronic TMD to retrain the jaw muscles
- The research study we picked to showcase in this blog: 39 patients treated weekly for 8-12 weeks.
- “Analysis of pain severity before and after treatment showed that acupuncture intervention was highly beneficial for patients with temporomandibular joint disorder (88.6%, p < 0.01).
- The data also demonstrated that acupuncture was both efficacious in acute patients (91%, p < 0.01) and chronic patients (70%, p < 0.05) and elicited no side effects during the course of treatment.”
- To read full research publication,click here: TMJ
At Wildwood Acupuncture Center–we are a family owned medically based clinic who will work in collaboration with other treatments you are receiving to enhance your treatment results.
Call us today to schedule a consultation: 301-530-5308