Ingredients for Medicinal Bone Broth:
- 1 pound of raw or cooked bones (beef, lamb, pork, poultry, or combination)
- 8 cups of water
- ¼ cup of wine
- ½ TSP unrefined salt
- ½ small onion, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 celery, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 stick of astragalus
- 6 inch piece of daikon radish chopped into cubes
- 1 scallion for garnish
- Place bones and water in a stockpot. Bring the water to a boil over medium-high heat. Once it is boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer. Skim and discard any foam that rises to the surface.
- Add salt and vinegar and let the stock return to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat to the lowest setting so that the broth is at a bare simmer and cook for
- Up to 24 hours for poultry or smaller bones
- Up to 48 hours for large, denser bones
- Alternatively, you can use a slow cooker.
- During your last 2 hours of cooking, add onion, carrot, celery, garlic, bay leaves, and astragalus.
- Take out bones with tongs. Discard the vegetables and herbs. Strain the broth through a fine mesh sieve.
- Move half of the broth into a smaller pot, and half of the broth into a container to either refrigerate or freeze
- Bring the broth to a rolling boil over medium-high heat and add daikon radish to broth. Let simmer for 20 minutes
- Finely chop scallions to serve as garnish for the soup.
- Distribute soup into individual bowls and top with scallion. Soup can be served with meat of choice and rice. Enjoy!!
© 2023 Wildwood Acupuncture Center.