In Chinese medicine, black sesame is known to treat premature aging, and various symptoms such as premature graying of hair, hair loss, and dizziness. Walnuts can be used to treat pain and weakness in the knees and back and relieve asthma.
- 1 cup of rice
- ½ cup of glutinous rice
- ¾ cup of walnuts
- ½ cup black sesame
- ¼ cup rock sugar (optional)
- 10-12 cups of water
- Serves 4-6 people
- Wash both white rice and glutinous rice three times and drain or until water runs clear. Soak rice in plenty of water for 10 minutes then strain.
- Bring 10 cups of water to a boil and add rice mixture and bring to a boil.
- Stir and cover and simmer, mixing every 15 minutes.
- Toast the sesame and walnuts in a fry pan on low heat, mixing frequently to prevent burning.
- When you can smell the aroma coming from the sesame and walnuts, place in a food processor and grind the mixture coarsely.
- After 40 minutes of simmering, Add the rock sugar into the pot and mix thoroughly. If the congee looks too thick, add some boiling water.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and add the ground sesame and walnuts.
- Stir thoroughly and boil for 3 minutes and then enjoy hot!