This healing soup is a Chinese classic recipe for those who are recovering from injury, surgeries, or pregnancy.
- 1 lb ginger sliced ½ inch thick
- 4 scallions
- 2 cups of Chinese rice wine
- 1 silkie black chicken
- 12 grams of Astragulus which can be found in Asian grocery stores are Huang Qi.
- 1 tablespoon dried wolfberries
- 2 cups of fresh wood ear mushrooms. A dried variety can be found in any Asian store. The fresh wood ear mushrooms are currently being sold at the Bethesda Central Farmer’s Market.
Enough spring or filtered water to submerge ingredients plus 3 inches
- In a big pot, bring all ingredients to a boil.
- Skim off the foam and lower heat to a simmer.
- Place the lid on and simmer for 2 hours.
- Discard scallions, ginger, chicken bones, and Astragulus.
- Enjoy the soup with fresh noodles or vegetables with chicken meat.
Benefits: This broth is a great base for any soup. It fortifies the immune system and respiratory system.