Eating certain foods can help cool and strengthen your body from the summer heat in a natural and healthy way. Winter melon activates the Yin energy and has a naturally sweet and cooling property that promotes digesting, sweating, and detoxification.
- 1 cup (1/2 pound) winter melon
- 4 shiitake mushrooms
- 2 fresh corn
- ½ cup dried lotus seeds
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2-3 slices ginger
- ¼ cup cooked chicken, diced
- ¼ cup cilantro
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- Soak the lotus seeds in warm water for 1 hour.
- Wash all of the vegetables. Dry the cilantro and cut into small pieces.
- Slice kernels from the cob and set aside.
- Remove seeds, green skin, and pulp of the winter melon. Cut into 2-inch pieces.
- Chop the shiitake mushrooms into about 4 slices each.
- Place a pot of water over high heat and heat until boiling. Simmer for 20 minutes or until winter melon is tender.
- Add chicken broth, mushrooms, corn kernels, ginger, cooked chicken, lotus seeds, and seasonings to taste. Add cilantro for garnish.
- Simmer for about another 20 minutes.
- Pour into a bowl and serve immediately while it’s hot.